Monday, August 08, 2005

Five days to go.


The start of the new football season is almost upon us, and after an excruciating close season I can’t wait. The end of last season was one of the most exciting I’ve seen, a last gasp penalty was missed by fat Bob and we found ourselves out of the European places. At first I was absolutely gutted, but after some thought it occurred to me that things could have been much worse. The exit of Keegan gave Stuart Pearce a chance to show what he could do, and what a fantastic job he did. An eight game unbeaten run gave us our best ever premiership finish and put a smile on all blue faces. After being given the job full time he now seems to be building something really good, in fact the only dampener came with the exit of Shaun Wright Phillips, who left for Chelsea in order to further his England career. Quite how he aims to do this from the Chelsea bench is beyond me, but his advisors seem to think it was a shrewd move. There have been mixed feeling among City fans, some giving the little man their blessings, others planning to boo the former favourite on his return to Eastlands in December. I must admit to mixed feelings, I’m pissed off that he didn’t publicly thank the club and the fans for the support he received during his time at City, but I can’t begrudge him wanting to move on, and I certainly wouldn’t boo a former player. This move typified for me the current face of professional football, loyalty has a price and contracts aren’t worth the paper they’re written on. As a City fan I’ve drawn a line under the whole thing, and now I’m just looking forward to the season ahead, although it would be nice to put one over Chelsea again, that would be a fantastic Christmas present.

This blog is primarily concerned with Manchester City, but I reserve the right to post about any other team…. Especially our neighbours from the swamp, it would be excellent to chart their downfall at the hands of an American businessman. The spat between Taggart and the animal could get funny as well. Plus all the reasons for the hatred City fans feel towards the other teams in England and around the world will be explored. Let's see what 05/06 brings to the blue side of Manchester.

ctid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home